Some months before, it was natural for people to be drawn to fitness centers to stay fit, and to visit stunning destinations locally and abroad to create great memories with their family and friends.
That was before. Life has changed for most people across the globe.
Today, you can do these activities right in the comfort of your own home. You can build a home gym or perhaps have a swimming pool installed to get your workouts in. You can modify your property’s layout and transform it for a perfect staycation experience. Most importantly, you can cook healthy meals or order your favorite dishes as takeout from a steakhouse restaurant and have a memorable private dining experience with your loved ones.
Here’s a closer look at these activities that you can do at home to remain healthy and happy.
1. Get moving
Getting physical activity, even in small amounts, is good for your health. Apart from preventing several health issues, it is beneficial for your energy, mood, and sleep. Moderate-intensity exercises will cause you to breathe as hard as you could, while more vigorous workout routines make you breathe deeper and faster, cause your heart to beat faster, and make you sweat. It is also crucial to limit your sedentary behaviors like lying down and sitting, and indulging in screen time.
If you are attending online classes or working from home, here are physical activities you must do:
- Take a walk during your break time
- Do toe curls, knee lifts, and leg lifts when seated. You can also do bicep curls.
- Walk around or stand up when reading your emails and other messages on your phone or laptop.
- Remind yourself to take a break from whatever you are doing by setting an alarm. For instance, move away from your computer every two hours and take at least a two-minute walking or standing break.
- Walk up and down your stairs to give your legs a workout. But if you don’t have staircases, you can jog in place or do jumping jacks for at least 10 minutes.
- Play music and dance.
- Participate in online live-streaming exercise sessions.
Household chores are also an excellent way to get moving. For instance, vacuum or mop fast enough to increase your heart rate. Gardening and lawn care tasks can also help you and your family burn calories and boost your leg, arm, and back muscles. Rake off leaves, push the lawn mower around, and pull up weeds.
Moreover, you can do stay-at-home projects with your family. Clean your house and perform some simple renovation projects that you might have been putting off, and let your kids lend a hand.
2. Eat nutritious meals
Eat fruits and vegetables and choose cereals, pasta, and bread made from whole grains. Limit your intake of processed meats and sugary and starchy foods.
Prepare meals at home so you can control the amount of sugar, salt, and fat you consume. Staying home is the best opportunity for you to use everything you have learned from cookbooks or cooking shows and blogs (maybe you’ve undergone professional chef training or taken specific cooking classes) and try healthier ways of preparing food for your family.
You can also get a takeout from restaurants, specifically those renowned for offering excellent beef, lamb, and seafood dishes. Search the nearest grill restaurant locations in Dubai, for instance, and check their menu so you can make healthy choices.
In addition to choosing healthy meals, eating together as a family is also crucial to achieving a healthy mind and body, especially for your little ones.
Studies have shown that eating meals with the family offers the following benefits:
- Prevents psychosocial issues, including eating disorders, suicidal thoughts, violent behavior, and depression
- Teaches your children good eating habits
- Boosts your kids’ self-esteem and communication skills
- Protects your kids from weight struggles in adulthood
- Facilitates better parental guidance and open communication between parents and children
3. Spend quality time outdoors
Staying home is not limited to staying indoors. Spruce up your lawn and landscape and see how it will motivate your family to spend more time outdoors rather than watching TV or playing games on their smartphones and other gadgets.
Here are activities you can do outdoors that the whole family will surely love and enjoy:
- Lawn games – Turn Jenga into big sizes and place them on your lawn. Another fun game is a giant matching game, putting everyone’s memory to the test. A scrabble board on your patio floor is also a game that will put your vocabulary to the test.
- Sketch – Take your drawing skills outdoors and sketch the beautiful things you see. You can draw the different birds chirping, the butterflies attracted to your beautiful flowers, and your kids playing. This will stimulate your children’s curiosity and may prompt them to make their own sketches, too.
- Set up camp – Bring out your camping gear and go camping in your yard. Place some pillows and blankets down on the ground.
- Family photoshoot – Make the sunny day even more beautiful by taking family photos. Be creative with what clothes and props you have to make the shoot more interesting.
- Watch a movie – Transform your yard into a movie theatre. All you need is a homemade screen, a projector, chairs, and a lot of popcorn. Hopefully, the family can decide on what movie to watch, or you may need to do the choosing yourself.
- Obstacle course – Create a playpen filled with obstacles with varying levels of difficulty so that everyone can participate. This is a brilliant tip for getting your little ones to indulge in play all day and sleep better at night.
- Hula hoop – Hula hooping is a great workout. Instead of doing aerobics in front of your television or desktop, bring out your hula hoop outdoors and get everyone involved. Play some music and get your hips moving.
Healthy habits have an impact on your risk level for different diseases, including cancer, diabetes, and heart illnesses, because physical activity and proper nourishment will help your body stay in good shape. Staying home is not an excuse for you to lead a sedentary life. With a bit of creativity and resourcefulness, you can get enough physical activity and eat healthy meals while you are at home. And with the delivery options provided by dining establishments today, you can order healthy dishes and enjoy a luxury dining experience. From starters and salads to the main course and dessert, you can have everything delivered right to your door.
Mohamed Farzad is the Director of Nippon Group of Companies. One of the Nippon Hospitality Division’s premium projects is Doors Freestyle Grill, a premium steakhouse and international fusion cuisine-lifestyle dining concept set across the spellbinding Al Seef heritage district in Dubai.